Monday, August 26, 2013

What do you have in your travel bag?

Every person has their favorite or must-have things that they can't go without. Some not for a week, some not for a day, in more severe cases - even an hour. I have to be honest and say that I am a lousy packer. I can never (and I mean it) pack light. I have so many things that I just have to take or that I think ( ;) ) that I will need. When it comes to clothes, I know I won't wear every single top that I packed, but at least I know that when the need for that blue t-shirt should arise, I will have it. 

Packing my hand luggage is stressful for me. That's probably the reason, why I usually have my bags checked. The main thing that annoys the hell out of me is the stupid law about the liquids. I know that in some way it's reasonable, but being a girl...I have to have my shampoo, conditioner, perfume, body lotion, hand lotion, hairspray, split ends serum and so on with me. I hope that at least some of you get me :) Even when I do have to leave all my pots and pans at home then there are some things that I will NOT leave behind. So, here they are:


My Cloudz pillow aka the neck worm as I call it. A little while back I didn't really think much of these pillows. Usually I just stared at the people carrying them around and though that why don't you use your sweater instead. Boy was I wrong about that...As I recently went to Vegas, I had the longest journey there and back. On departure from Tallinn, I hadn't bought the pillow yet, but as I was getting ready to get on a plane in Vegas, I grabbed one with me. That was a life safer and I mean it. I spent at least 24 hours in planes and airports on my way back and if I wouldn't have had my Cloudzy with me, I would have been a very grumpy passenger. (Which I ended up being, since I got really sick on my way back) If you're thinking of buying one then I have the Cloudz Microbead Neck Pillow in Charcoal - I love it! It can double as a teddy when in a hotel since it's sooo soft :)

The infamous iPhone. I got my first iPhone a little over a year ago (if I'm not mistaken) and I can not imagine my life without it anymore. I might even be OK with being called an addict. I have my music on it, which I listen to every single day on my commute to work and back. I have my books on it - both audio and e-books - that I don't really read or listen to every single day, but I'm very happy that I have them with me. I have all my apps there, staring with Facebook up to my bank app from Swedbank (which I love by the way, I don't know if other banks around the world have that, but it's super handy - transfer money on the go, check your balance and so on). I love being connected to my friends and my e-mails while on the road. It's not so much that I couldn't live without these apps and the possibility of doing everything on the go - I really like it. And with my iPhone I always carry my wall charger as well.

One thing that annoys me on planes and in airports is the air conditioning. I have a dozen different allergies and dry air does not make me feel better. One of the things that it also does is dry your lips, so I always (and I mean always) have at least one chapstick with me. Actually two other things fall in to this category as well - hand sanitizer and hand cream. Maybe I'm the only person that notices or hears this, but when your hands get dry and you rub them together, they produce this awful noise like you're sanding wood. And when I think what it must feel like - I get goose bumps. I know, I'm weird like that :)

Even though I talked about my iPhone and how I have my books on it, I always take at least one paperback with me as well. Since you still can't use your phones during take off and landing, then it still gives me something to do. And sometimes your eyes just need a rest from that glowing screen.

One more thing that I always!! have with me are the print outs of all my tickets, confirmations, reservations and so on. I think we've all read about the times when the global systems have gone down and people have stood in line for hours, just so that the person on the other side of the counter can see that you really are meant to be on that next plane to Where-ever. But! When you have your tickets and stuff printed out (CheckMyTrip ;)), you can flash them before their noses and they will see that yes - you are one of us. It also helps in hotels - I've had many occasions when the receptionist has said "Sorry, we don't have you on our list". Hah! Wait a second there, but I have the confirmation from you booking system printed out. Check the status or history of booking number 1234 and see that I AM supposed to sleep between your comfy sheets tonight.

As I am not graced with perfect eyesight, I have to wear glasses in order to see further that a few meters away. It's not uncommon that I can't recognize or see a friends that's coming towards me. I'm really sorry, but I just can't see you clearly enough. And when in an unfamiliar city, your sight is one of the key things to get you around. Especially when you have to switch planes in an airport - I wouldn't want to run in the opposite direction because that sign Gate 6B sure looked like a 8D. If you wear glasses then you probably know what I mean. You might ask - why don't your wear contacts then, it's easier? Well, my eyes get really dry with contacts and I have already told you about my love/hate relationship with air conditioning + you can't really sleep with contacts and I can't read with them in my eyes, I only need glasses to see across the hall.

So yeah, these are some or even the main things that I can't travel without. There might be a few more things, but since I can't really think of them then maybe they aren't so important after all.
What are the things that you can't leave behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment